Boomerang Lunches at Westmount
August 28th, 2019
JUST A REMINDER!!!! BE PREPARED FOR
Boomerang Lunches for the 2019/2020 School Year
In September, Westmount Public School will begin Boomerang Lunches. Boomerang Lunch programs help families save money and let them see which foods are/are not eaten.
Thanks for your support and cooperation.
Boomerang Lunch – Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Boomerang Lunch?
All garbage and any food not eaten are sent back home in the lunch bag every day.
Why start Boomerang Lunches now?
It’s the right thing to do for our environment!
Encouraging the use of reusable containers will reinforce that children can be part of the solution to our waste problems.
What can I do to ensure my child doesn’t come home with a dirty, messy, smelly and/or stained lunch bag?
Send food items in sealable, reusable containers. .
What about drinks? What if my child’s drinking box is not finished?
This is a great time to buy a reusable drink bottle.
Boomerang Lunch Tips
- It is cheaper to buy food in bulk and place them daily in resealable containers.
- Oranges, bananas, apples and hard-boiled eggs all come with their own handy packaging. Cutting fruits/vegetables into smaller pieces allow them to be eaten easily at both nutrition breaks.
- Pack a waste-free lunch using items such as:
– reusable lunch bag or box (Look for a hard plastic or removable interior, as it can be wiped clean.)
– stainless steel or well-sealed reusable water bottles/containers
– reusable plastic containers (Labels ensure they are easy to identify if they are misplaced.)
– reusable utensils
– reusable containers that have multiple storage spots in them
– NO glass bottles
- AVOID sandwich bags, plastic wrap, plastic utensils, one-time use cups (yogurt, pudding, apple sauce), or drinking boxes/pouches,